Bump in the air: Day 1.

Day 1. Saturday. Squishy and I woke up early the next day (well, I started noticing his kicks at around 6 AM, but I officially got up at 7 AM). I was energetic and excited! The doctor advised me to wear comfortable shoes for the trip. Comfort was something I kept in mind when I packed. I matched my rubber shoes with light dresses, my maternity belt, and a shoulder bag carrying the bare essentials (face mask, wet wipes, extra pantiliners, money, mobile phone, and lip balm). Mikey was sporting his new PacSafe, so he did a bulk of the carrying throughout the trip. In his bag, he carried our water, extra shopping totes, and travel documents (plus all the shopping bags that joined us along the way).

On our way to the MTR! Here’s Mikey in his poncho. It rained for a bit.

Before we went about with our day, I was oriented by my three travel companions: I must, must, must tell them when I’m tired or when I need to rest. Mikey even asked me to come up with a secret signal so that I could alert him even if I was shy. But I wanted to be a trooper. I didn’t want to slow any one down.

The first order of business was breakfast. We found the connecting bridge from our hotel to New Town Plaza and found one restaurant open for breakfast. We settled down in Fairwood. It was not too remarkable, but the coffee was good (I sipped from Mikey’s cup) and the food was filling enough. After a quick breakfast, we headed back to the hotel for a bathroom break. In less than an hour, we were on our way back to the mall so that we could take the MTR to Sham Shui Po—a well-known tech hub in Hong Kong.

Our first MTR ride went really well! We had two transfers, but on each train, locals would offer me their seats! ❤ So I was very comfortable throughout the trip (and moved by the wonderful display of compassion).

Heavenly McDonald’s OJ.

When we got there at around 10:00 AM, the area was still slowly waking up. The only thing that was open was a McDonald’s so Mikey decided to have a breakfast platter and I order orange juice. The orange juice in Hong Kong McDonald’s is amazing. It’s like the stuff they serve on planes and in hotels.

At about 10:45, we decided to try our luck again to see if anything was open. The Tech Hub wasn’t open yet, but the stalls lining the streets were slowly opening. We found a huge stall with baby clothes and Lola bought Squishy two new five-piece Carter’s sets (at HKD 59.00/Php 360.00/USD 8.00 each set) and an unbranded onsie (HKD 29.00/Php 177.00/USD 4.00). I wish I had gotten some more!

Sham Shui Po at around 10:00 AM.

By 11:00 AM, the tech hub was slowly opening and Mikey was the happiest boy on earth. It was three floors of tech stall after tech stall. After the first floor, everything looked the same to me. But Mikey, Lola, and Lolo Benjie found something interesting at every stop. Half way through the first floor, I noticed that my ankles were kind of chubby so I would sit whenever there was a chair available and try to rotate my feet to relieve some of the pressure. Surprisingly, it was only my feet that felt the discomfort. My back, knees, and legs felt fine (I think the maternity belt really works!). By the time we were almost done with the second floor, my ankles were chubby, there weren’t as many seats to bum around on, and I needed to pee. I asked Mikey if I could go to McDonald’s and wait for them there (there was a whole other floor that they needed to explore). Lola cut her shopping trip short and accompanied me to McDonald’s. When we got there, we had some more orange juice (yum!). It wasn’t too long before our companions returned (Mikey admitted that he was tired too). It was about 2:00 PM when we decided to head out for a late seafood lunch in quaint fishing village of Lei Yu Mun.

Lei Yu Mun was so pretty!

They decided it was best to take a taxi because the walk from the nearest MTR station would be hilly. So we took our first cab ride from Sham Shui Po to Lei Yu Mun. I knew that it was really for my benefit, but my companions told me that it wasn’t too bad because we were a party of four (probably amounting to an additional HK$10 each).

When we got to the entrance of Lei Yu Mun, we were greeted by a decorated arch and a dock full of boats. It was very nice! It was about a 5 minute walk to the market area where our restaurant was located. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the name of our restaurant. It was the first restaurant after the market entrance. It was the best seafood I ever had. They keep all the live seafood in tanks behind the restaurant. We got to go there and choose our lunch!

We ended up ordering steamed shrimps, bamboo shells in spicy taosi sauce, deep friend slipper lobster, and fried rice. The meal cost an arm and a leg and I’m so grateful that I got to try it! Squishy was kicking up a storm after our wonderful lunch!

The view from the Yau Tong Station (nearest MRT station to Lei Yu Mun).

After lunch, we decided to take a taxi to the nearest MTR station. It would have been very possible to walk, but the route to the station was uphill and I don’t think I would have had the stamina to keep up. We took the MTR Station to Sogo along Causeway Bay for some more shopping. We spent a few hours there and Lola even bought Squishy Sophie La Girafe (we actually got one! Yay!)! We also took a trip to the groceries to buy breakfast for the next day. After Sogo, we walked to Hysan Place so that Mikey could visit an Apple Store. At around 6:30 PM, we were in a cab again on our way to the Ferry Terminal for a Peking Duck dinner at the one and only Peking Garden! ❤

The Ferry ride was amazing. It was quite full when we entered, but I didn’t have trouble sitting because they take priority seats very seriously in Hong Kong. There was always one available for me, and if there wasn’t the locals would always offer their seats. ❤ I wish it were like that in Manila.

In Peking Garden, we feasted on a whole peaking duck served in two ways: (1) with the skin and some meat, spring onions, and hoisin sauce wrapped in a Chinese “pancake” (kind of like a burrito wrapper) and (2) with the meat diced up and scooped into lettuce with hoisin sauce. Oh, the joy Squish and I experienced with every bite!

We were all quite tired from the full day, so we decided to take a taxi back to the hotel. The taxi ride was quick enough (around 20 minutes), but it cost us about HKD 100 (about Php 606.54/USD 12.89) for the trip.

As soon as we got to the hotel room, I washed up and made a pillow tower to raise my feet. I also did my last is-Squishy-kicking check of the day (he was quite active! I think he really enjoyed the duck!). But I was so tired that night that I don’t even remember falling asleep! I just have images of Mikey pulling the comforter from under me so that he could tuck me in properly. ❤

Day 1 was a blast! Tiring, but a blast! I can’t believe how much ground we got to cover!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s