The third trimester starts on week 28 and today, Squishy is 28 weeks and 2 days old! ❤
Happy third trimester, Squishsterlington! It’s our last stretch and I’m equal parts excited and content. I can’t wait to meet you, but I’m really enjoying our time together. I feel like I already know you. ❤
The second trimester was a lot of fun! While I expanded exponentially, I also got my energy back and I felt like my old self again. But my absolute favorite thing about the second trimester was Squishy’s acrobatics! Here’s how I would characterize the progress of Squishy’s movements:
- It started out as a bubbly feeling in my tummy. We first noticed it when we were watching WrestleMania in April (about 17 weeks).
- Taptic Feedback/Squishy the Ballerino. At about 19 weeks, from Wrestle Mania onwards, Squishy’s movements started becoming more perceivable. At least by me. But Mikey couldn’t really feel it. From the inside, it felt like a strong Apple Watch tap. It was so light and gentle! I thought that Squishy was a gentle soul who took a liking to water ballet.
- Squishy the Karate Kid. At 21 weeks, Mikey could already feel Squishy kicking from my tummy. He would get really energetic after I ate. At this point we didn’t know that Squishy was a boy, but we should’ve figured. Haha.
- The Squishy Show! A few weeks ago, Squishy started really showing off! I would expose my belly at night and Mikey and I would marvel at the Squishy show. As he kicked, my belly would have these alien-like bumps! Sometimes at the office, my ID would start moving because of his kicks. It’s super cool.
- Saturday Night Fever. Usually Squishy would kick and we would see a bump appear on my belly. These last few days, we were shocked when it looked like Squishy was in two places at once! What seemed like a single movement produced two bumps in two different areas of my belly at the same time! We imagine Squishy doing that Bee Gees dance move from Saturday Night Fever (2:20 onwards):
Apart from Squishy’s movements, the second trimester was also wonderful because we could finally settle on a proper pronoun! We found out that we’re having a bold little boy. ❤ So the second trimester was really full of milestones for us! But if I could go through the second trimester again, here’s what I would’ve done:
- Invest in back support earlier. My belly started growing at an alarming rate and I think my back had some trouble keeping up with it. I was surprised that sitting for extended periods of time was actually becoming challenging. I resisted borrowing Mikey’s BackJoy for while (I didn’t want to deprive him of it because he drove us everywhere), but as soon as I gave in, I felt real relief at work and I was more productive. I also wish that I had gotten myself a maternity belt. We did a lot of nesting these past few weeks and I couldn’t fully participate because I would get tired quickly. Maybe if I had gotten the belt sooner, I would have been able to help out more.
- Not to give in to every little craving. The Doctor ordered me to gain weight towards the end of the first trimester and the beginning of the second trimester. But by the fifth month, I had absolutely no morning sickness and the appetite of a carpenter Mikey. I must say, I really enjoyed eating (meat in particular). I gained so much weight in the next two months that the Doctor finally told me to take it easy.
- Pre-empting stretch marks. I developed stretch marks, almost overnight, towards the end of the second trimester. For some time, I thought that I wouldn’t get them because there were no warning signs. And then, one morning, voila! Stretch mark city! I wish that I had started using Bio-Oil before the stretch marks appeared. It actually says that you should start using it at the beginning of the second trimester. 😦 I also read that once the stretch marks are there, there’s nothing you can really do about it. Sigh. 😦
- Buying bigger shoes. During the first trimester, I decided to buy two new pairs of Toms-like flats so that I could be comfier throughout my pregnancy. I didn’t really think to buy a bigger pair. I just went with my usual size. But during the second trimester, I noticed that my shoes would start feeling tighter towards the end of the day (Hi, edema!). Thank goodness my Mom gifted me with a new pair of Aerosoles from her trip. Blinded by the sales, she accidentally bought a size bigger which ended up being perfect for me.
Hooray for a great second trimester! ❤ Please be kind, third trimester.